Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The latest Eagle Update...and Rawson takes the lead

Deadline nears, some goals revised
BY KAREN SHIDELER
The Wichita Eagle

The pressure is on.

WichiTalk's Weight-Loss Challenge team members are closing in on their deadline.

Earlier this year, WichiTalk chose six readers to go public with their weight-loss efforts for three months. We let them set their own goals and decide their own weight-loss methods.

We're planning a wrap-up about their efforts for the Dec. 19 issue of WichiTalk. That should be perfect timing for people planning New Year's resolutions.

In the meantime, here's a look at how the six are doing:


Tom Allen
Allen, 43, a teacher and coach at Northwest High School, wanted to lose 40 pounds but realized that was unrealistic.

He has lost 15 and has learned that South Beach Diet snack bars help curb unhealthy snacking.
Allen is starting basketball season, so his days are even longer than they had been, running from 3 a.m. to 7 p.m. He plans to catch up on exercise -- and sleep -- over Thanksgiving break and to "stay away from the potatoes and limit the pie."


Jamie Goltz
Goltz, 23, who works for the Army National Guard and the Wichita Marriott, wanted to lose 25 to 30 pounds.

She has maintained a 20-pound loss and may show a bit of weight gain in the final report -- because she's pregnant. As a result, her workouts aren't as strenuous and she's being careful not to get dehydrated while still doing "something healthy for myself and the baby."

Goltz has gotten used to smaller portions and doesn't have any major cravings. "I don't even like eating ice cream. It just doesn't taste good to me right now," she says.


Toni Harden
Harden, 46, is a paraeducator at Wells Special Education Center and wanted to lose 20 to 30 pounds.

She has lost 11, less than she'd hoped but not bad given some health concerns, including diabetes.

Harden and her sister will cook Thanksgiving dinner. "My plan will be to drink lots of water during the morning and to consume very small meals" through the day. "With several diabetics in our family, we will have sugar-free desserts."


Crystal Iseman
Iseman, 26, a stay-at-home mom and day-care provider, wanted to lose 25 pounds.

She has lost 13 and is disappointed it's not more. But she also admits that being swamped with homework (she's finishing a college degree) and work means she hasn't paid as much attention as she should to her eating and exercise habits.

Iseman has learned that "drinking lots and lots of water keeps your appetite at bay." But she'll enjoy Thanksgiving, knowing that if she deprives herself, "I tend to end up giving in and eating more."


Andrea McClellan
McClellan, 31, a stay-at-home mom, wanted to lose 25 pounds.

She's lost 18 but regained 3. "I did it to myself," she says. "I have not been working out as much as I should, and my water intake is poor... Boy, did I mess up!"

At Thanksgiving, "I plan to eat what I want, only small servings. Only two times a year do I get sweet potatoes... I will try to eat a spoonful versus a plateful."

She also knows the role that state of mind plays: "When I am not feeling happy, I eat... I just need to start my day feeling good about myself, and the rest will follow."


Ken Rawson
Rawson, 30, director of student ministries at First United Methodist Church, wanted to lose 15 pounds.

He has lost 23 by "counting my calories and keeping it to 1,500, choosing wisely, which means smaller portions and healthier options." He has been exercising 45 to 90 minutes a day and has signed up for the YMCA's Battle of the Bulge, an effort to prevent weight gain during the holidays.

You can read more about his progress on his blog: http://wichitasbiggestloser.blogspot.com/.

No comments: